MBA Past President Richard P. Campbell named to ABA
task force on the future of legal education
Massachusetts Bar Association immediate past President Richard
P. Campbell has been named to an American Bar Association task
force to review and make recommendations on the state of legal
education and its responsiveness to the needs and opportunities of
the legal market.
Campbell, chairman of Campbell Campbell Edwards & Conroy in
Boston, last year created the MBA's Task Force on Law, the Economy
and Underemployment. The 14-member task force in May released its
report, "Beginning the Conversation," which explores the causes of
and potential solutions for the underemployment of recent law
school graduates in Massachusetts.
The Task Force on the Future of Legal Education consists of
representatives from the judiciary, organized bar, legal education
and legal practice. The task force is expected to continue its work
during the next two ABA presidential terms and conclude in
Former Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court Chief Justice
Margaret H. Marshall will also serve on the task force.
In addition to Campbell and Marshall, the task force members
- Randall T. Shepard (chair), former chief
justice, Indiana Supreme Court, and currently executive in
residence at Indiana University's Public Policy Institute
- Paulette Brown, Edwards Wildman Palmer LLP,
- Ronald D. Castille, chief justice,
Pennsylvania Supreme Court
- Michael P. Downey, Armstrong Teasdale, St.
- Christine M. Durham, justice, Utah Supreme
- Joseph D. Harbaugh, professor and dean
emeritus, Nova Southeastern University Shepard Broad Law
- Kevin R. Johnson, Enforcement and Litigation
Division, National Credit Union Administration
- Paula Littlewood, executive director,
Washington State Bar Association
- Thomas W. Lyons III, Strauss Factor Laing
& Lyons, Providence, R.I.
- Leo Paul Martinez, professor, University of
California Hastings College of the Law
- Nancy Hardin Rogers, professor emeritus, Ohio
State University College of Law
- Maritza Sáenz Ryan, head of the Department of
Law, U.S. Military Academy
- James A. Wynn Jr., U.S. Court of Appeals,
- Jolene A. Yee, associate general counsel, E.
& J. Gallo Winery, Modesto, Calif.
- David Yellen, dean, Loyola University Chicago
School of Law
- Jay Conison, dean, Valparaiso University Law
School (task force reporter)
In addition, two representatives of the ABA's Young Lawyers
Division will be named to the task force.