Job Opening: MBA Media and Communications Manager
Thursday, December 7, 2017
The Massachusetts Bar Association (MBA) is seeking a full-time Media and Communications Manager to join our small, close-knit team of professionals, who are committed to advancing the MBA’s position as the “preeminent voice of the legal profession.” Reporting to the MBA’s Director of Media and Communications, the Media and Communications Manager will manage and coordinate the MBA’s digital and print publications, including the weekly online eJournal newsletter and the bi-monthly Lawyers Journal newspaper. This position will also play a key role in the MBA’s marketing, public relations and social media efforts. Ideally, we’re looking for someone with strong writing/editing skills, who is comfortable taking the initiative on projects and working collaboratively as a member of a team. Creativity and strong organizational skills are a must.
- Manage and coordinate content for MBA print and electronic publications, including the bi-monthly Lawyers Journal newspaper and weekly online eJournal newsletter. This includes developing story ideas, interviewing sources, writing articles, and securing/editing submitted content from MBA leaders and members.
- Co-manage the MBA’s social media activity with other members of the Communications team.
- Cover MBA-related events, as needed.
- Write/distribute press releases and respond to media inquiries.
- Develop and maintain relationships with local, regional and national media contacts.
- Prepare remarks for MBA leaders’ speaking opportunities.
- Edit MBA program descriptions and marketing campaigns for web and print.
- Serve as liaison to the MBA’s Law Review Board, which publishes the quarterly Massachusetts Law Review.
Incorporated in 1911, the Massachusetts Bar Association is a nonprofit organization that serves the legal profession and the public by promoting the administration of justice, legal education, professional excellence and respect for the law. The MBA represents a diverse group of attorneys, judges and legal professionals across the commonwealth.
- Three to five years writing/editing experience in a similar role, or journalism experience.
- Public relations experience, including a familiarity with print/radio/TV media outlets in Massachusetts.
- Strong, accurate writing and editing skills (knowledge of Associated Press style preferred).
- Comfortable with technology.
- Social-media savvy, familiarity with digital media, especially Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook and Instagram.
- Proactive, strategic thinker.
- Organized, able to work in a team environment under pressure and manage multiple deadlines.
- Tactful, diplomatic and professional -- able to interact comfortably with the media, bar leaders, lawyers, judges and the public, including high-profile public figures.
- Solid understanding of Massachusetts government and the court system. (Background in the legal services industry is a plus, but not required.)
Resumes without cover letters will not be considered. Email resume and cover letter with salary requirements
to (no phone calls, please): email@example.com
, or mail to HR Manager, Massachusetts Bar Association, 20 West St., Boston, MA 02111. You can also fax your information to (617) 338-0602. The MBA is an EEO/AA employer.