The Massachusetts Bar Association invites you to register (requires Adobe Acrobat) for the 33rd annual Mock Trial Program.
THE FINAL DEADLINE TO REGISTER IS FRIDAY, OCTOBER 6, 2017.
All registration forms must be accompanied by a check of $150. Purchase orders are allowed, but final payment is due no later than November 10, 2017.
PLEASE NOTIFY MOCK TRIAL CENTRAL IF THERE ARE ANY DATES THAT YOUR TEAM IS UNABLE TO COMPETE.
The competition begins in January 2018. However, your team may choose to start working on their case as soon as the materials are released during the week of Teacher Orientations (week of October 23, 2017).
Schools that wish to participate may enter one team that must be comprised of students currently attending the school and a teacher coach who is also from that school. There is no upper limit to the number of students participating in the program; however, there can be no fewer than six and no more than nine students participating in any one trial. We recommend that you secure the assistance of a local attorney to help your team prepare for their trials. If you have difficulty with this, please feel free to contact us for assistance.
Coaches Orientation Information
Additionally, all registered schools are required to attend one of five mandatory statewide orientation sessions to be held during the week of October 23, 2017. Orientation sessions are an opportunity for teachers to get a brief overview of the case, explanation of the law and to ask questions about team composition, judging, etc. Similar to last year, case packets will be available online only. Registered high school teams will receive two case packets (one for each of the coaches) at the orientation site.
Each team will be able to download the case packets via the MBA mock trial website after all teacher orientations have been completed (once available). However, Mock Trial Central will make available for each team: two case packets (one for each of the coaches). Please note that during the competition, there may be times when the committee changes something in the case packet. If so, the case packet will be updated and a new version will be added to the Case Information & Updates page.
Updated on Monday, January 29, 2018
The schedule this year is:
- Teacher and Attorney Coach Orientations - Week of Oct. 23, 2017
- Last dropout date to avoid penalty - Nov. 10, 2017
- Preliminary rounds begin - Week of Jan. 15, 2018 (No trials on Jan. 15, 2018 - Martin Luther King Day)
- Snow Make-up weeks - Weeks of Feb. 5 and Feb. 13, 2018
- School vacation week - Week of Feb. 19, 2018
- Tiebreaker week - Week of Feb. 26, 2018
- Regional's and Sweet 16 Trials- Sunday, March 4, 2018 at Clark University, Worcester (Snow make-up date is Sunday, March 11, 2018)
- Elite Eight and Final Four Trials - Wednesday, March 14, 2018 at Joseph Moakley U.S. District Courthouse, Boston (Snow make-up date is Friday, March 16, 2018)
- State Finals Trial - Tuesday, March 20, 2018 at 10:00 a.m. at the House of Representative Chambers, Statehouse, Boston
We hope that your school will consider registering a team this year. We're confident that the students will enjoy the experience.