The Massachusetts Bar Association invites you to register (requires Adobe Acrobat) for the 35th annual Mock Trial Program.
THE FINAL DEADLINE TO REGISTER IS FRIDAY, OCT. 11, 2019.
All registration forms must be accompanied by a check of $175. Purchase orders are allowed, but final payment is due no later than November 12, 2019.
PLEASE NOTIFY MOCK TRIAL CENTRAL IF THERE ARE ANY DATES THAT YOUR TEAM IS UNABLE TO COMPETE.
The competition begins in January 2020. However, your team may choose to start working on their case as soon as the materials are released during the week of Teacher Orientations (week of Oct. 29, 2019).
Schools that wish to participate may enter one team that must be comprised of students currently attending the school and a teacher coach who is also from that school. There is no upper limit to the number of students participating in the program; however, there can be no fewer than six and no more than nine students participating in any one trial. We recommend that you secure the assistance of a local attorney to help your team prepare for their trials. If you have difficulty with this, please feel free to contact us for assistance.
Coaches Orientation Information
Orientation is MANDATORY and is for teacher and attorney coaches ONLY.
The orientation, attended by the MBA Mock Trial Committee members, is an opportunity for teachers and attorneys to receive a brief overview of this year’s case, hear an explanation of the applicable law, ask questions about team composition, judging, etc. This year, the Mock Trial Program will offer coaches three ways to attend the orientation:
- In person, Tuesday, Oct. 29, at the MBA, 20 West St., Boston. Check-in: 5:30 p.m. Start time: promptly at 6 p.m.
- View the real-time Webcast via MBA On Demand, Tuesday, Oct. 29, at 6 p.m.
- Watch the video at your convenience following the live Webcast via MBA On Demand (available from Nov. 1–15).
NOTE: STUDENTS ARE NOT ALLOWED TO ATTEND THE ORIENTATION IN PERSON, WATCH THE VIDEO LIVE OR VIEW IT LATER.
Each registered team will be able to download the case packet in advance of the orientation via the MBA mock trial website. However, for those that are attending the teacher orientation in person, Mock Trial Central will make one case packet available for each team. Please note that during the competition, there may be times when the committee changes something in the case packet. If so, the case packet will be updated and a new version will be added to the Case Information & Updates page.
The 2020 schedule is:
- Teacher and Attorney Coach Orientations - Oct. 29, 2019
- Last dropout date to avoid penalty - Nov. 12, 2019
- Preliminary rounds begin - Week of Jan. 20, 2020 (No trials on Jan. 20, 2020 - Martin Luther King Day)
- Snow Make-up week - Weeks of Feb. 10, 2020
- School vacation week - Week of Feb. 17, 2020
- Tiebreaker week - Week of Feb. 24, 2020
- Regional's and Sweet 16 Trials - Sunday, March 1, 2020 (Snow make-up date is Sunday, March 8, 2020)
- Elite Eight and Final Four Trials - Week of March 9, 2020
- State Finals Trial - Friday, March 20, 2020 at 9:30 a.m. (new start time)
We hope that your school will consider registering a team this year. We're confident that the students will enjoy the experience.