The work of the Massachusetts Bar Association’s Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Committee (DEIC) is critical to the overall functioning of the MBA and all those in the legal profession. It is a great honor to be tasked with leading a phenomenal group of individuals who volunteer their time and talents to ensure that these important issues are addressed in the legal community.
The DEIC seeks to develop, monitor, and promote diversity and inclusion initiatives to achieve a genuine, sustainable, diverse, and inclusive environment within the MBA, throughout its membership and in the legal community.
The DEIC works internally with MBA leadership, section councils, divisions and committees, as well as externally with the Supreme Judicial Court, Board of Bar Overseers, affinity bar associations, and other stakeholders to fulfill the following objectives:
- Increase diversity, equity, and inclusion within the MBA’s membership and leadership, and within the legal profession (including within the judiciary)
- Create strategies to increase diversity, equity, and inclusion practices generally
- Increase awareness of inequities, systematic barriers, unacceptable behavior, and implicit/explicit bias, and experienced by members of the legal profession
- Facilitate collaboration with, and support of, affinity bar associations
- Encourage unity and community among all people, especially those currently and previously disenfranchised, within the legal profession.
Looking to get involved? If these goals and objectives are important to you, we are always seeking assistance and support for this work. Please reach out to the DEIC for additional information on how you can assist in ensuring a more diverse, inclusive and equitable legal profession.
Current DEI Committee Members